On Saturday 13th November 2021 our lives changed forever. The youngest of my three sons, William, aged 21 months, had a minor temperature that day, ranging from 37-38 degrees, but he was still happy, playing and full of energy. Late afternoon I popped him in his high chair with his dinner, I went around the corner to the fridge in our kitchen and when I returned William was having his first febrile seizure. I called 999 and the paramedics arrived within 6 minutes, but it took 45 minutes for his fitting to stop. After what felt like the longest hour of my life, I stroked William’s arm and told him Mummy was here. He didn’t respond, but the paramedics reassured me that this wasn’t unusual due to the length of his seizure and the diazepam that was given to him.
I stood helplessly and watched as the medical team slowly and carefully settled William into the ambulance that was parked on our driveway. Then all of a sudden the pace changed; it became urgent and noisy and the doors to the back of the vehicle were closed.